Thursday, July 12, 2012

Fireweed #2

I took more photos ot the Fireweed around our camp today. They've grown a little.



I confess, I have no idea if these are the same two flowers I snapped photos of last Thursday or not! I think the first one is, but I'm not sure about the second one. So much for following two specific flowers.

But I did find one that I can surely keep track of.



I'm not sure what a tire is doing in front of one of the classrooms of the school's annex building, but it makes it easy for me to track this particular flower's blooming.

It's rather spindly right now, don't you think?




I had quite a surprise when looking around the school and our campsite.
I turned around and found one fireweed already in bloom!




I've not seen a single other one in bloom yet. Everything else is still in buds. But they're coming out fast with these long days. Long days, but lately there's not been so much sunshine. Cloudy and rainy all week. Add to that some wind, and it's been rather chilly. In the 50's. Alaska is a wild land and just like everywhere else, you have to take the bad with the good. My family is suffering in Phoenix with 115 degree blazing hot days right now, but Spring is amazing there! Alaska has gorgeous scenes and lush landscapes, but it rains a ton. And the winters are harsh. And there's bears. And... And... And it gets in under your skin and takes hold of your heart as unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment