Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Quilt Report

Just a quick quilt report.   I have it all layered and pinned (rather than basted). 

I remembered to buy the pins in town after church Sunday.  I came home and set about doing this phase.  I actually found my iron.  It was in the basement on a shelf behind a bunch of other stuff.  I made sure there was a full charge in our batteries and that the sun was shining to boot.  And I turned it off every time I thought I was done.  Notice that I said ...every time I thought I was done.  I must have turned that thing on and off about 6 times.

First I got it all pinned and realized I forgot to tape down the backing fabric.  You're supposed to tape it down taut so it won't move and there won't be wrinkles in it as you pin.  You don't want to go sewing your final project only to turn it over when done and discover a bunch of tucks and folds you've sewn in!

So, I had to re-do it and move the whole process to the floor so I wouldn't gouge our dining room table with pins in the process.

I'm not even sure I can do the actual quilting on my old black Singer Featherweight sewing machine.  I'm told I need a "walking foot" attachment that helps feed the material from the top along with the built in bottom feeder (sounds like a fish to me).  There is a generic walking foot that I hope will work for me.  Otherwise, I just might be in for buying that $156 model at the shop or the $150 model at Wal-Mart.

I'm bummed that I won't be able to work on it for a couple days.  :-(  But I'll be sure keep you posted when I get at it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment