Wednesday, August 5, 2009

An Unconventional View

The room I stayed it at my friend's cabin felt like being in a tree house because of the large windows on two walls bordering the bed. The last night was so beautiful with the almost full moon shining so brightly that the sky held it's blue, the pine trees were clearly visible as silhouettes, and oak leaves shimmered with the light. With all the windows wide open, I decided to sleep with my head at the foot of the bed so I could lay down facing the window and fall asleep gazing at the moon and silhouetted trees.

This is what I gazed out upon.


This photo was taken at 6:00 in the morning but I know you can imagine the bright moon behind one of the branches and the black trees.


I also could lay on my back, look straight down toward my feet and gaze out the second window.


It was so fun. I just breathed in the beauty, the fresh cool air and the moonlight. It was soothing, beautiful, and peaceful. I feasted on it and marveled at it with excitement while at the same time it filled my soul with quietness, rest, refreshment and grace.

Lying there in bed, there was so much window surrounding me that I almost felt as if there were no real walls between me and the trees. I was so close to them, there on the second floor, that it seemed I was right in them.



It was an unusual maneuver, switching ends of the bed. But I'm glad I thought of it and went ahead and did the unconventional. I enjoyed the best views and it made me feel even closer to the woods just outside. And nature brings me closer to God. Sometimes something great awaits us but we can't fully know it by sticking to "normal". I'm learning to look for things I might ordinarily not see. I'm learning to step in different directions to find what beautiful views are hiding behind the back side of conventional and customary.

1 comment:

  1. What a perfect nest! I love windows and those are amazing windows and views. Lucky you

    ReplyDelete