Monday, July 11, 2011

Seeing Names

My cat, Mini, was a tortie. I got her when I was in second grade and had her all the way through my Junior year in high school. With my second grade mindset, I named her Mini because as a kitten she looked so tiny compared to her huge eyes. My mom always thought I named her Minnie, as in Mouse or Pearl. But no. I always spelled it Mini, as in small.


It's funny how people can say the same name but spell it differently in their minds. I always "see" words in my mind. I don't know if this is common or uncommon but I do. When I say a word, often times I "see" it spelled out in my mind. Someone can say the name "Laurie" but if I'm seeing "Lori" in my mind, I get totally confused in the conversation and can't figure out who they're talking about! Reminds me of Anne of Green Gables who requested that people "please say her name with an 'e 'on the end because it's so much more elegant than Ann without an 'e'."

No comments:

Post a Comment